Monday, May 17, 2010

Alice and The Tin Man

Awhile back I watched Alice in Wonderland in the cinema. It was directed by Tim Burton and I for one grew up being expose to movies directed by this man. He somehow has an interesting way with the way he directs films- quirky and dark at the same time- like BeetleJuice and Edward Scissorhands. As for Alice in Wonderland - It was a good movie about finding out what you really want in life and taking the plunge- . An interesting take but somehow I felt there was something lacking and at this moment I cannot pinpoint what it is. Maybe I wished for more witty dialogue, maybe a longer running time so that Alice may explore "Wonderland" more and more background into the characters such as the the two queens. The graphics were an intricate part of the movie though.

After the movie I was tempted to go read the book as I assume that it would be quite different. My sister mentioned that it was dull but who knows I might read it anyway. The Alice shown in the movie differ quite differently from Alice in the disney movie.



One of the characters that I felt sorry for was The Red Queen. There is something about her that made me think she was a very insecure and lonely child in the body of a woman(as to speak). The way she tried to get love and respect was pretty sad. Too much power and she did not really have anything.

This made me think back about the other remakes or modern adaptation of other classics. One of them that I can think off at the top of my head is The Wizard of Oz. The modern loose adaptation was a mini series that went by the name Tin Man where a girl called DG gets caught up and ends up in a place called Oz (Outer Zone).

It was a sci-fi miniseries that the scarecrow was called Glitch who had half of his brain removed by Azkadellia (The evil witch who is after DG for some reason), and Wyatt Cain (The Tin man!!) a former law enforcer, or "Tin Man", who had been locked in an iron suit for years as punishment for opposing Azkadellia. The Tin Man background story was upsetting as he got locked in a tin suit and watched his family suffer for his plight against injustice.
In the beginning , It dragged on but I enjoyed watching Tin Man, sadly I never got to watch it until the end. Maybe one day I will come across Tin Man again and no I will not wiki to find out the ending
: P

No comments:

Post a Comment